Quite a mess, no ?
Anarchis, Ukrainians, Timoshenko , Wyself as sSouthern Whites and Greens….
Archive for January 5, 2012
Fatal Years AI is filled with defaults, poor moves, bad choices. But, more often than the average, it may be just…surprising and dangerous. In this game, I’m sieging Tzaritsyn, and the last battle hasn’t been here to my advantage. The next turn, the Bolshevik AI has done this:
Some will maybe find this selfish. To get such a result, I’ve spent some hundred hours working about AI. I don’t regret one minute of this work. It’s so much rewarding to play against a real opponent.
I’m happy. As a modder. As a player, I’m in trouble.
One may guess it would have been better if the AI has surrounded Denikin around Tzaritsyn. Maybe, but one of the rule of war isn’t hitting hard on the key points the enemy is defending weakly rather than systematically tackle with main enemy forces? In any case, Red has left a very sizable force at tzaritsyn to cover the city. The AI use of numerical superiority is sufficently smart to create problems for the player. Not that bad
After a few weeks of study? i’ve come to the conclusion Old Fenrir is right and the way to avoid destruction of small division lies in upping the cohesion losses done during battles, especially for artillery.
That isn’t something new, as I did it a years ago in SVF 1.0. But that is yet needed in the recent versions of the GAE engine.
I will do it. However, it’s a very large task, as I have to change value of about 700 models…Yes 7000, and for this one I would really have had some xls.
Just for fun, what will be the next AGeod game, from what I may guess ( I’ve no info of course):
- It will be Napoleon campaign 2, based on the PON engine, AGE3.0. The title will certainly be different, with the now usual Swedish subtlety we’re fond of.
- the engine will be multithreaded yet more to shorten turn lenght, certainly by giving to AI its own thread during player turn.
- the map should revert to the png system rather than the one used in PON, graphically subpar and too slow.
- the game will cover first Napoleaon campaigns with a great campaign from 1805 to 1815. DLcCwill be added first forFrench revolution then for Napoleon III campaigns in Europe. AGE 3.0 engine may cope dynamically with railroads.
- turn should remain to the 15 days standard. The military details of NCP1 should be discarded for a more generic approach for units. On the contrary, NCP2 will inherit from the economical and diplomatical features of PON, yet again simplified, streamlined, and possibly working as intended contrary to PON.
- the longer scenario at first should be 240 turns long or about ( 1805-1815). Promises will be made for a monster one covering Europe from 1789 to 1870, but of course, not released immediatly.
- NCP2 should be more carefully tested than PON and should get much less bug than PON at release. I bet CTDs will be rare or wholly lacking. Balance of the game and events not working will depend of the quality of the betatest, which remains unknown.
As no important bug has surfaced, I will update only Sunday FY. No major changes but fixes for some minor bugs, improvements to the Red AI, more work on the Baltic situation: for the latter, if Balt Re’publics are engulfed into RCW later than March 19, the Red insurrection units will not appear in estonia ( as they will have been defeated) . In Latvia, either Freikorps will have eliminated the Reds, either Reds will control Latvia…