As the point has surfaced lately on the AGEOD official board, a few points:
- When I began FY, I wasn’t sure my vision of RCW was a good one; since, I’ve got sufficiently positive returns to know FY has its merits. Work in progress, yes, unachieved but definitely progress for some. It wasn’t so evident.
- I’ve in my background real universitary diploms. Not in itself a proof of competence, but anyway I studied history and the way to learn it.
- I’m modding on AGE engine since 2007. One day I will have to explain why this very moddable, if complex, engine has given so few real modders ( I could name only a few of real modders on AGE engine).
- among all, until now, I’ve been the only one to really learn how to improve AI. It gives results. After all the official RUS AI is done with my events file too, The ROP one has a primitive version of mine.
-The official RUS is ,in its current version, less historical than the release one. Just an example: requisitions and recruitment is now only possible in areas where loyalty to your faction is at least 51 %. You can’t do requisition in enemy regions you have conquered…Funny, but a little unhistorical. This change has been done for balance sake. I prefer tweak AI and rules in other ways. Some will prefer the first solution. For me, it’s just a big reason to scrap a game. I’ve not a fan of the helmet colour which is sometimes the reason of grognard complaints, but some standard about historical treatment is needed for my wargaming enjoyment. If not, I play GTA IV ( not kidding, I play GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption too).
- FY and the official version will never merge. I don’t care if FY is played by 25, 250, 2500. I care about my pleasure to play FY. If an idea is pleasing me, I adopt and adapt it. If I’m wrong, I change the feature ( several times). If some would come with scripts for RUS, I would read them and if agreeing adopting them. AGEOD will not even think about a merge, and I’m not sad about. AGEOD is for me past. AGE engine is a very good one, unfortunately a good engine isn’t sufficient to produce great games. Design and testing are much more important.
- For the rest, I’ve confidence those talking endlessly on official boards and doing almost nothing for improving the official version will finally be considered as their ideas, like the one promoting teamwork and writing obstusely about MAkhno and Aaarchist idolatry, in a way showing beyond political wishful thinking a complete lack of historical sense and method. I will just add soome whe are mourning today the commercial RUS failure were the same posting critical posts about RUS in the month following its release, when I was in the official team almost alone to solve bugs and try to promote the game. I’ve done during this months much more for RUS ( and freely) than they will ever do. I don’t regret any of my reactions. Double mindness, laziness, certitude to be right aren’t on my side IMHO .
So, what’s up? I’m happy. FY is alive. The official version of RUS is free to do differently, better or worser. I’m not the one in charge of it. I don’t feel why I should be in this team anymore; If I had , such ideas like the ones developed about requisitions would have hindered FY development.Sinee one year, official RUS is done without my participation. More than words, only facts matter in the end. I’m confident in the final result.
Back to work
Play FY. Like it or trash it. I don’t need to be the winner of a race between Official RUS and FY. I develop my own version and I’m always pleased if some have a good play experience with FY. The official version will get the success it deserves. Or not That’s not even a footnote in my mind.